I did this awesome
exercise today from the awesome book by Elliot Dacher:
“Close your eyes and let’s
try this together. Rest into the ease and stillness of your
mind and body, releasing
all mental activity. When quiet, ask yourself, “What aspect of
my life—psychospiritual,
biological, interpersonal, or worldly—is the source of difficulty
and suffering?” Focus on
this one area. What line of development is most essential
for me at this time? What
is my current level of development and what can I aim for?
This is the first aspect
of assessment.” (2005, page 115)
Dacher says
This exercise was good!
Anytime I can take a pause, and meditate to see outside of the box what I’m
dealing with its good. I discovered that most of my problems come from human
interaction, mostly at work. I’m only happy when things are done my way, and I
also feel if I don’t control everything it won’t get done right. This has
caused me to be angry all the time, and has led to lots of angry outburst and
arguments. Soldiers didn’t want to talk to me, or work with me after a while.
So I did the following to help myself:
1.
I closed my
mind to work, in a place far away from the work environment, and pictured
myself on a regular work day.
2.
I found that I
was only happy when I was in control. I would micro manage and take over 15
people’s individual assignment. You see in the end I wanted all the praise, so
I couldn’t let someone mess that up.
3.
Success! I was
removed from my work area because of an injury, and my eyes were opened. Nobody
was screaming; there were tons of teamwork, and more time off. The work was
getting done without all the ugly anger.
4.
I have learned
to help as need, or when asked; but allow others to shine in their work, and
also other supervisors to take the blame when wrong.
5.
Number 1? The
world does not revolve around me.
This was a life changing exercise, and I think I reduced more stress in a
week, than compared to my whole life.
No comments:
Post a Comment